The `Tutti Frutti' map

Ideas for new maps
Angeba

The `Tutti Frutti' map

Post by Angeba »

EDIT: Don't download this map version. Fetch the updated versions in the newer posts
(`tuttifrutti-easy.xp' and `tuttifrutti-difficult.xp').

Attached is a new version of the `Tutti Frutti' map, featuring some modifications made by Vincent, namely:
- "Escape wormholes" from the item stores
- easier treasure boxes, to ease cashing (especially for lagged/inexperienced players)
- big team numbers as decoration, to assist map navigation
- faster shots

I test played it and would like to see it on your server, Rotunda. Please replace my
original version with this one.

PS.: So far I did not succeed in setting up this map, so that it has exactly 2 or 3 robots in each team.
If someone knows whether this is possible and which options to set, please tell me. Perhaps it would
be enough to have only 3 robots per team on a public server.

EDIT: Don't download this map version. Fetch the updated versions in the newer posts
(`tuttifrutti-easy.xp' and `tuttifrutti-difficult.xp').
Attachments
tuttifrutti-vincent.xp
Tutti Frutti (mods by Vincent)
(16.54 KiB) Downloaded 1367 times
Last edited by Angeba on Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Angeba

Re: New version of the Tutti Frutti map (mods by Vincent)

Post by Angeba »

I've further cleaned up this map. Now I maintain two versions of it, one with easy treasure boxes (designed by Vincent) and one with my original treasure boxes (protected by walls, to make cashing more difficult).

See the following two posts in this thread for the descriptions and attached map files.
Angeba

Post by Angeba »

tuttifrutti-easy.xp -- Version of the map with easy treasure boxes.

This version has all Vincent's modifications. The treasure boxes are friendly for lagged and
inexperienced players ("professionals" will cash your ball even quicker though :).

My additional mods:
- Moved the "4" decor number one block to the right for better alignment.
- Moved all item concentrators 1 block towards the center of the "item stores"
and increased `itemconcentratorradius', so that items are more spread out.

Let me hear your opinion about the decor team numbers. They should help to better find your
way around the map, but are they perhaps just additional distraction? You can disable them
with some option in your client, like `showdecor' or `decordrawmode' (depending on client).

This map version is highly playable (IMO), I like the faster bullets.

Rotunda, please be so kind and put this version on your public server.
Attachments
tuttifrutti-easy.xp
Version of the map with easy treasure boxes
(17.04 KiB) Downloaded 1290 times
Angeba

Post by Angeba »

tuttifrutti-difficult.xp -- Version of the map with the original difficult treasure boxes.

I've added the "escape wormholes" to the item concentrator locations (from Vincent's mods).
Also moved all item concentrators 1 block towards the center of the "item stores"
and increased `itemconcentratorradius', so that items are more spread out (like in the easy map version).

This version does not have the decor team numbers and it uses my original slow and long lasting
bullets (Blood's Music like).
Feel free to tell me which bullet speed you prefer.

I recommend this version for good ball players (with a good connection to the server).
Attachments
tuttifrutti-difficult.xp
Version of the map with difficult treasure boxes.
(16.6 KiB) Downloaded 1304 times
rotunda
Site Admin

Post by rotunda »

Interesting idea with two versions of the map. Perhaps it will players of different preferences (ball/item maps).

What is a bit odd is that the friction block has effect only on players. I haven't tested it, but it might open a way to grab somebody's ball and cash it fast without a chance to retaliate. That is, a situation where you grab the ball, throw it through the friction block, and your team mate cashes on the other side. We will see how it works out in practice.
Angeba

Post by Angeba »

Yes, passing balls through the friction blocks to your teammate was my idea.
However, we may not see how it works in practice, because there are no players left.
Angeba

`Tutti Frutti - difficult (2016-12-24)'

Post by Angeba »

News in this version of the map:
* remaining items from killed ships
* added diagonal wall blocks behind the treasures to have more bounce options.
* changed `minesonradar' to `no', to declutter the view. Mines are not too dangerous, since neither clusters nor nukes are allowed here.
* minor cleanups of options and comments.
Attachments
tuttifrutti-difficult_2016-12-24.xp
Xpilot map file (tested with xpilot-ng-4.7.3).
(18.66 KiB) Downloaded 1144 times
Angeba

Tutti Frutti - difficult (2017-01-18)

Post by Angeba »

News in this version of the map:
2017-01-13: * Added options for playing with point-source gravity. Gravity is still disabled (0) by default. Set it to a higher or lower value to have fun with gravity.
From a GNU bash-like shell, with the `awk' utility installed, one can start the server with a random gravity between -g and +g with the following option:
-gravity $(awk 'BEGIN {g=1; print rand()*g*2-g}')
And yes, ball handling with a high (absolute) gravity is challenging. I suggest you fetch some extra afterburners then.
* Added missing base-attractors ($), so that the orientation of all bases is correct, when gravity is != 0.

2017-01-18: * Increased `objectwallbouncelifefactor', so that items from destroyed ships remain longer on the map.
Attachments
tuttifrutti-difficult_2017-01-18.xp
Xpilot map file (tested with xpilot-ng-4.7.3).
(19.54 KiB) Downloaded 1203 times