New duel ball "race" maps: `Parallel Slalom' -> `U-Slalom'

Ideas for new maps
Angeba

New duel ball "race" maps: `Parallel Slalom' -> `U-Slalom'

Post by Angeba »

Prototype of a two player parallel ball race on identical courses. If this turns out to be interesting, then we could make a nicer version, with more variable obstacles. The decor lines would also be removed for a final version (they helped while drawing the map).

Rotunda, would be nice if you could put this map on your server so we can test it. Preferably on a ng server.

Post your comments and ideas for improvements in this thread, or make your own modifications and post them here.

PS.: Editing the post to add "`U-Slalom'" to the subject I accidently removed the attachment, so I reupload it for completeness. Although I prefer `U-Slalom'.
Attachments
parallelslalom.xp
`Parallel Slalom' Xpilot map
(20.96 KiB) Downloaded 298 times
Last edited by Angeba on Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rotunda
Site Admin

Re: New duel ball "race" map: `Parallel Slalom'

Post by rotunda »

Ok, sorry for the delay. I have started the map now. There seem to be two bases without proper exits. I guess this is work in progress?
Angeba

Re: New duel ball "race" maps: `Parallel Slalom' -> `U-Slalo

Post by Angeba »

`U-Slalom' - Second prototype of a two player parallel ball race on identical courses. This is an evolution of `Parallel Slalom'. The unplayable bases and distracting decor lines have been removed. The courses are now 2 identical U shapes and thus the course is about twice as long as `Parallel Slalom'. The balls are full size now, instead of the previous point balls. The obstacles are still quite simple and boring. But it is very easy to make better obstacles. I'd really like to see other peoples contributions here.
For example using `xp-mapedit' (`xpilot-ng-xp-mapedit'), keep the basic course shapes, treasure chests and bases, but clear out all obstacles (click on the `empty space' shape, click `select', drag-select the course, click `fill'). Next scribble/draw any new obstacles on one of the two courses. I often get good results, just scribbling the rough shapes and afterwards using the `round' function, which removes ugly and annoying sharp edges. You may have to click `round' several times. Note that it seems to operate only on the currently selected region, or if there is none, it operates only on the visible part of the map.
Once you have designed one course, just copy and paste it to the other course, using `select', `copy', `select' and `paste'.

Post your modifications here if you think you created something interesting.
Attachments
U-Slalom.xp
`U-Slalom' Xpilot map
(21.47 KiB) Downloaded 264 times