The development status of the FXI server

Discussions related to the BloodsPilot server
rotunda
Site Admin

The development status of the FXI server

Post by rotunda »

The server code has undergone major cleanups lately. As one of the main goals of the entire project is retaining the steering experience of legacy (4.5.x and before) XPilot servers, now the FXI codebase has to be tested very carefully. Samaseon and Coppa have volunteered for this job. They are in the process of testing the playability of the version 1.4.2 and will probably look into the version 1.4.5 soon.
Samaseon

Re: The development status of the FXI server

Post by Samaseon »

The FXI server versions have been carefully playtested on the Aimers map to ensure the ship control does not degrade between releases. The real time nature of XPilot means that even small changes to the server code can break the control in unpredictable ways, causing steering loss or lag.

A careful player will notice that FXI implementations, e.g. BloodsPilot FXI server v1.4.2 has a finer and more responsive control than e.g. XPilot 4.5.4.

Coppanos and I have found that the most productive way of developing the server is to test each patch and release to make sure the ship control doesn't degrade. It is much easier to make small steps forward one at a time, than to later have to rewind, taking huge steps backwards.

As we have not been working on FXI for a year or so, we're going to now play test all the changes that rotunda have made since v1.4.2 of the FXI server, hoping to release an 1.5.0 after that.
Fishy

Post by Fishy »

k. guess i really should put up a recent FXI server at pa.theti.ca, eh?
Fishy

Post by Fishy »

there. tracking git head now. any issues i should know about?
rotunda
Site Admin

Post by rotunda »

Hi,

Ok, nice that you have installed the newest version. There are still issues I'm working on, but most importantly it should be tested whether there was any degradation in playability since version 1.4.2. Let's play some team games and judge that. If you are patient enough, the "aimers.xp" map from "share/maps" directory can be used for testing, like Samaseon and Coppa do.
Fishy

Post by Fishy »

sure. when i have a minute i will adjust my firewall and put up aimers in parallel with blood's