Tips for best steering

Discussions related to the BloodsPilot clients
rotunda
Site Admin

Tips for best steering

Post by rotunda »

One of the most important requirements for achieving optimal steering is a good mouse pad. In my experience, if you have an optical mouse, the mouse pads shipped for free with mice or entire computers are no good. This is probably caused by inconsistent reflection of the light in different parts of the pad's surface.

I have tried using sheets of paper. These are unsuitable, because after a while the paper absorbs the sweat from your palm and the mouse pad's surface gets wrinkled or even breaks.

Using slick surfaces has proven to be uncomfortable, especially after the palm started sweating.

So far the best material I have had for a mouse pad is a very fine piece of cloth. It should absorb sweat from the palm and offer enough friction for the mouse to make it possible to feel the movement well.

The photos show the mouse pad I enjoy most.
mousepad-zoom-2.jpg
mousepad-zoom-2.jpg (121.52 KiB) Viewed 9331 times
mousepad-all-2.jpg
mousepad-all-2.jpg (81.57 KiB) Viewed 9331 times
taras

Re: Tips for best steering

Post by taras »

For my Logitech G9 I use some useless VAX manual book, because it is very heavy. Though this mouse works everywhere, but I don't like steering on table.

On 3200 DPI I use turnspeed = 2.7
What are your's numbers?
rotunda
Site Admin

Post by rotunda »

I have some Labtec optical mouse. Still trying to determine its resolution (I use the defaults).

Its Xorg settings are as follows:

Code: Select all

$ xinput
PtrFeedbackClass id=0
	accelNum is 2
	accelDenom is 1
	threshold is 8
XPilot client settings:

Code: Select all

xpilot.turnSpeed:               46.662
xpilot.turnResistance:           0.000
sloopy

Post by sloopy »

i use a logitech G450 Nano... works well, dunno numbers on it, but turn speed is usually 5-10... on the other machine i use a Dell stock mouse with turnspeed of 15...

sloopy.
Coppa

Post by Coppa »

Well I haven't found anything other satisfactory than the table I have, the surface is best described as teflon. Plastic doesn't work, and neither does glass as a surface for the mouse. The mouse itself appears to have little difference, I have used mostly logitech, like BJ-69, MX-310 and the later G5. What makes more difference in mouse handling is XWindows release, the releases of XWindows that are 4.3.0 or later from 2003 appears to have somewhat broken mouse handling. I dont know about 4.2.0, but 4.1.0 appears to be the last well working version.