Meta server

rotunda
Site Admin

Meta server

Post by rotunda »

After a few in-game discussions about the shortcomings of the official XPilot meta server, I decided to write my own simple implementation. It is written in Python and can be downloaded here: http://sourceforge.net/p/bloodspilot/me ... ster/tree/.

The main feature that is missing in the official version is the ability to filter out servers that are unreachable from the Internet.

A test instance of the meta server is running at 91.230.202.140. I welcome all maintainers of XPilot servers to do some testing. The only thing you have to do is override locally the IP address of one official meta server. On the system that runs your servers, edit the /etc/hosts file, adding this line:

Code: Select all

91.230.202.140	meta2.xpilot.org
And then restart the XPilot servers. The servers should now contact both the official (meta.xpilot.org) and new (overriden meta2.xpilot.org) meta server. If you then start a client on the same machine, it will also contact both meta servers.

The long-term idea is to replace the original meta server with the new one, however we have to make it bullet-proof first! I am anxious to receive suggestions and bug reports.
rotunda
Site Admin

Re: Meta server

Post by rotunda »

Ok, it is no longer necessary to override the address in your /etc/hosts file. The DNS record for meta2.xpilot.org is now pointing at the right address. In the coming days I will be testing and improving the code.