# Update the date in `mapname' if you make any changes to the map mapname : Ball Bana - KAT, 2012-12-16 # For bigger changes consider adding your name to `mapauthor' mapauthor : HeadAce, (NG-) mods KAT # BallBana-KAT # # By Jonny Svärling (HeadAce) (d93-jsv@nada.kth.se) # Modifications and adaptions to Xpilot-NG by KAT. # Regards to Jonny Svärling for creating this map. It's one of my favourites. # # Modifications done to the original BallBana map: # # Most of these mods are to ensure that the map plays roughly the same on a # modern xpilot-ng server (4.7.2+), like it did on old servers. # * Set `ballradius' to zero, so that the game uses a point-ball when running # on an xpilot-ng server, like it was intended for this map (balls were # always points to the server before xpilot-ng and this map is certainly # older than ng, I guess it was created around 1994 or 1995). # * Enabled the `fastaim' and `ngcontrols' NG options, which should be on by # default IMO, because they can only improve the game (reduced lag and # improved steering). # * Set the NG option `gamespeed' to 12, because the original map uses 12 FPS. # * I changed `framespersecond' from 12 to 50, so that one can enjoy a smooth # game with a NG server. If you run the map on a server which does not # support the `gamespeed' option, you will have to specify the original # `framespersecond : 12', so that the game runs at the normal speed. # * Team 1 bases have been replaced with team 4, so that the map now contains # team 2 and team 4. This makes it comfortable to switch to the other # team in modern clients, which have a key (F5) to switch between 2 and 4. # * My only modification to the actual map layout is that I removed the wall # block behind each target. This makes it possible for the attacking # team to shoot a passage through the targets. The defending team on the # other hand can shoot through their targets, using them as a shield. # I think this modification enriches the gameplay somewhat. In the # original map layout the targets were quite pointless IMHO, just # to gain a few extra points. # * Replaced some typos in option names with the correct spelling, so that # the server recognizes the options: # (firerepeatrate, allowplayerbounces, missileswallbounce, # limitedvisibility, gravityanticlockwise, rogueHeatProb, rogueMineProb, # itemEnergyPackProb) # * Removed duplicate of `limitedlives' option. # * Removed some options which where not allowed to be changed from a map file, # and which don't influence the actual gameplay anyway: # (idleRun, noQuit, reportToMetaServer). # * Removed `oneplayeronly' option. It's not supported in current servers # anymore and I don't know what it was intended to do, being set to `yes'. # * Set `wallbouncefueldrainmult' from 1 to 0. Xpilot-ng does not support this # option anyway and does not drain fuel on wall bounces. IMO these days # players are used to no fuel drain on wall bouncing and it's much more # fun to use wall bouncing without having to care about fuel loss, even # more with the high bounce speeds that this map allows. Having this # option at 0, ensures that fuel is not drained if the map is run on # some server which supports the options, like 4.5.x. # * Set `playerstartshielded' from `no' to `yes'. It would be too easy to # respawn-kill a player with the old setup, or was that actually a # feature? I don't think so. # * Added `minelife : 7200', which is the default in Xpilot-NG and should also # make sense in other (old) servers. # * Cleaned up item probabilities. I added `itemArmorProb', `itemDeflectorProb', # `itemHyperJumpProb' and `itemPhasingProb', all set to 0. These items did # not exist when the original map was created. Since the defaults to these # probabilities are > 0 and with the probability settings of this map, there # appeared far too many of these items with a current server. Perhaps it # would have been better to set the default probability of new items to 0, # so that old maps would play like their authors intended. At least on # this map a phasing device and to a lesser extend a hyperjump would be too # powerful, destroying the gameplay. # I also added `itemMirrorProb', this one set to 1, like the laser prob, # because I think it's a nice countermeasure to the laser and does not # unbalance the game. # Finally I changed `itemautopilotprob' from 1 to 0, since I never knew # a use for the autopilot (if someone knows a use, tell me). # These cleanups make the items usable and fun again with an NG server, # like Jonny probably intended. So there is not only the straight attack # and defence of the treasures, but it may make sense to visit the # item concentrator. # # NOTE: # I noticed that there appear more items when the map is run on a NG server # which is _started_ with 50 FPS, than on one which is _started_ with less, # e.g. 12 FPS. The current map setup with the original `itemprobmult:5e-9' # gives a good amount of items on NG at 50 FPS, while on 4.5.4 or NG with 12 # FPS there seem to be a bit too few items for my taste. Though, since I # did not change `itemprobmult', it is probable that the map author wanted # fewer items, like we get at 12 FPS. # This is probably another bug or unfinished work in NG, where the code # was not completely adapted from FPS to gameSpeed. The same can also # be noticed with missile behaviour (on maps which have some). On a # high FPS NG server (e.g. 50), missiles seem to be far more agile. # And very notable is the deflector, which becomes much more powerful # at higher FPS, making you practically invulnerable (when you have several). # This should really be looked into by some NG developer, because I feel that # this problem is present in many areas, changing the behavior of the game. # # * Added `cannonItemProbMult : 0', so that the two cannons do not use any items # and mostly so that it does not become too powerful to collect lots of items # after destroying a cannon. # The original map does not contain any cannon related options and after looking # into the `ChangeLog' file from xpilot 4.5.4 it seems that item use for cannons # was only added in xpilot 4.x, i.e. after this map was created. # It might be acceptable to use a low value for `cannonItemProbMult', like # 0.05 or so, but for now I'll leave it at 0. I've a feeling that it's more # interesting to leave the items all in one place, so that there can be # nice fights around the item concentrator. # * Added `shotHitFuelDrainUsesKineticEnergy : No', so that it takes more than # 1 or 2 medium speed bullets to destroy a target, otherwise it was much # too easy. This option was only added in Xpilot 4.5.0, so setting it to # `No' restores the original map setup. Just noticed that one is not allowed # to change this option from a mapfile with a 4.5.4 server, but it works # with NG 4.7.2. # * Added `itemconcentratorvisible : No', to declutter the view. Should not # take long for a new player to figure where the items are. # * Changed `robotteam' to 0 and added `reserverobotteam : No', to set up non robot # play as default, so that players can pick teams freely. # # Xpilot-NG specific options: ballradius : 0 fastaim : Yes ngcontrols : Yes gamespeed : 12 framespersecond: 50 # Use `framespersecond : 12' if you run this map on a non NG server # (which does not support `gamespeed'). #framespersecond : 12 # `cannonsUseItems : Yes' is needed to enable item use for cannons on 4.5.x servers, # while NG does not support/need this option. In any case cannons do not use items # when `cannonItemProbMult' is 0. cannonsUseItems : Yes cannonItemProbMult : 0 # other options: shotHitFuelDrainUsesKineticEnergy : No minelife : 7200 itemconcentratorvisible : No firerepeatrate : 2 robotstalk:Yes robotsleave:Yes robotleavelife:0 robotleavescore:-60 robotleaveratio:0 robotteam : 0 reserverobotteam : No allowplayercrashes:Yes allowplayerbounces : Yes allowplayerkilling:Yes allowshields:No playerstartshielded : Yes shotswallbounce:No ballswallbounce:Yes mineswallbounce:Yes itemswallbounce:Yes missileswallbounce : No sparkswallbounce:No debriswallbounce:No maxobjectwallbouncespeed:50 maxshieldedwallbouncespeed:1000 maxunshieldedwallbouncespeed:1000 maxshieldedplayerwallbounceangle:360 maxunshieldedplayerwallbounceangle:360 playerwallbouncebrakefactor:0.4 objectwallbouncebrakefactor:0.9 objectwallbouncelifefactor:1.0 wallbouncefueldrainmult : 0 wallbouncedestroyitemprob:0 limitedvisibility : No minvisibilitydistance:0 maxvisibilitydistance:0 limitedlives:Yes reset:Yes teamassign:Yes teamimmunity:Yes ecmsreprogrammines:Yes targetkillteam:no targetteamcollision:No targetsync:No treasurekillteam:Yes treasurecollisiondestroys:Yes treasureunshieldedcollisionkills:Yes race:No extraborder:No gravityanticlockwise : No allownukes:No allowclusters:No allowmodifiers:Yes allowlasermodifiers:No allowshipshapes:Yes playersonradar:Yes missilesonradar:Yes minesonradar:No nukesonradar:No treasuresonradar:Yes distinguishmissiles:Yes maxmissilesperpack:3 identifymines:Yes shieldeditempickup:No shieldedmining:Yes laserisstungun:No minefusetime:0 movingitemprob:0 dropitemonkillprob:1 detonateitemonkillprob:0 destroyitemincollisionprob:0 itemprobmult:5e-9 maxitemdensity:0.1 itemconcentratorradius:3 rogueHeatProb : 0 rogueMineProb : 0 itemEnergyPackProb : 1 itemtankprob:1 itemecmprob:1 itemmineprob:5 itemmissileprob:0 itemcloakprob:0 itemsensorprob:0 itemwideangleprob:1 itemrearshotprob:0 itemafterburnerprob:1 itemtransporterprob:1 itemlaserprob:1 itememergencythrustprob:0 itemtractorbeamprob:1 itemautopilotprob : 0 itememergencyshieldprob:0 itemArmorProb : 0 itemDeflectorProb : 0 itemHyperJumpProb : 0 itemPhasingProb : 0 itemMirrorProb : 1 initialfuel:1500 initialtanks:0 initialecms:0 initialmines:0 initialmissiles:0 initialcloaks:0 initialsensors:0 initialwideangles:0 initialrearshots:0 initialafterburners:3 initialtransporters:0 initiallasers:0 initialemergencythrusts:0 initialtractorbeams:1 initialautopilots:0 initialemergencyshields:0 friction:0 checkpointradius:2 racelaps:3 #----------------------------------------------------------- mapwidth : 90 mapheight : 60 edgewrap : yes edgebounce : yes teamplay : yes maxrobots : 0 worldlives : 3 shipmass : 17 gravity : 0 gravityangle : 90 gravitypointsource : no gravityclockwise : no shotmass : 0.1 shotspeed : 21 shotlife : 60 maxplayershots : 10 shotsgravity : no mapData: \multiline: EndOfMapdata axxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxsc axxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxs axxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxs + w axxxxxxs axxxxxxs qx xw axxxxs axxxxs qxx xxw axxs axxs qxxx xxxw as as qxxxx xxxxw qxxxxx xxxxs qxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxw qxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxw axxxxx xxxs qxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxw qxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxw axxxx xxs qxxxxs axxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxs axxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxs axxxxw axxx xx qxxxxs axxxxxxxxxxxxxxxs axxxxxxxxxxxxxxxs axxxxw xxx xx xxxxxs axxxxx xxx xx qxxxxs axxxxw xxx xx xxxxs axxxx xxx xx qxxxs axxxw xxx xx xxxs qxw qxw axxx xxx xx xxs qxxx qxw xxxw axx xxx xx xs qxxxs x#x axxxw ax xxx xx qxx#4$ axs $2#xxw xxx xx qxxxs qxw qxw axxxw xxx xx xxxx x#x x#x xxxx xxx xx qxx#4$ axs axs $2#xxw xxx xx xxxs axxx xxx xs xxx xxx axx s qxxx xxxw ax qxxxx xxxxw x qxxx#4$ qxxxw $2#xxxw x axx qxxxxxw xxs x w ! qxw xxxxxxx qxw ! qx * ! x#x xxx#xxx x#x ! *x s ! axs xxxxxxx axs ! ax qxx axxxxxs xxw x axxx#4$ axxxs $2#xxxs x axxxx xxxxs x w axxx xxxs qx xw xxx xxx qxx xx xxxw qxxx xxx xx axx#4$ qxw qxw $2#xxs xxx xx xxxx x#x x#x xxxx xxx xx axxxw axs axs qxxxs xxx xx axx#4$ qxw $2#xxs xxx xx xw axxxw x#x qxxxs qx xxx xx xxw axxx axs xxxs qxx xxx xx xxxw axs axs qxxx xxx xx axxxw qxxxs xxx xx xxxxw qxxxx xxx xx axxxxw qxxxxs xxx xx xxxxxw qxxxxx xxx xx axxxxw qxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxw qxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxw qxxxxs xxx xxw axxxxw qxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxw qxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxw qxxxxs qxxx xxxw axxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxs axxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxs qxxxx xxxxw axxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxs axxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxs qxxxxx xxxxs axxxxx xxxs qw qw axxxx xxs qxxw qxxw axxx xs qxxxxw qxxxxw axx s qxxxxxxw qxxxxxxw ax qxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxw qxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxw + qxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxwr xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx % xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx EndOfMapdata